Name(genus, species) :
Large land bird; long tail in the male
Males: from 2 m to 2.30 m; females: from 0.90 m to 1 m
Males: 5 kg; females: from 3.5 kg to 4 kg
India, Sri Lanka
Clear woodlands, often close to water
Loose bands; polygamy
Number of eggs:
From 5 to 7
Around 3 years old
18 years old (in captivity)
Unknown; decreasing (wild populations)
Peacock is one of the most magnificent and beautiful birds on our planet. A relative of ordinary domestic hens, it belongs to the pheasant family. However, it is much larger than its relatives. On average, the weight of an adult peacock can reach 5 kg. And the body length reaches 1 meter or more. Thanks to the beauty and bright tail plumage, the peacock is recognized as a standard of greatness throughout the world. The first habitat was South Asia. Currently, birds are widespread in Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and other countries.
22 interesting facts about peacocks
- The real tail of the peacocks is only 50 cm long and it looks quite inconspicuous. Only males can boast of beautiful and bright plumage. The richer the tail, the more attractive the peacock. And females do without a beautiful fan behind their backs and look inconspicuous.
- Peacocks can fly. However, due to the heavy tail, it is very hard to fly for the bird.
- Among Hindus, peacocks are considered sacred birds. even as the national bird of India. Many proverbs and stories are dedicated to them, symbolizing eternal joy, happiness and purity. For example, a firebird. Its prototype is a peacock.
- Birds live for about 20 years. The peak of beauty in males is reached by 5-6 years. But at the age of one and a half years they are as plain-looking as the females.
- The length of the tail can reach 1.5-2 meters. Which exceeds the body length by 2, or even 3 times.
- In nature, there are only 3 types of peacocks. But these birds have many subspecies.
- One of the constellations located in the southern hemisphere of the planet is given the name "Peacock".
- Bright plumage is one of the main ways to attract the opposite sex. The brighter it is the more chances the male has. The male often gets a whole harem.
- With the help of the tail, peacocks scare away enemies. Seeing a huge tail with many "eyes" that appeared out of nowhere, predators backoff.
- The tail for the peacock also serves to communicate with each other. It transmits infrasound waves that an ordinary person cannot hear. Their frequency is less than 20 Hz. You can only sometimes notice that the feathers vibrate slightly. It looks like light ripples in the water.
- The image of the peacock took its rightful place on the coat of arms of the city of Serpukhov, located in the Moscow region. The figure appeared back in 1720. The basis was breeding in one of the local monasteries of these magnificent birds. The color variation of the coat of arms changed over the years, but the peacock remained in its place.
- Peacock meat dishes are considered delicacies and are on the menu of many restaurants in the world. The first tasters were aristocrats of ancient Rome. And the first who tried the meat of this bird in Russia was Ivan the Terrible. And in Tibet they believe that peacock meat can cure many ailments and strengthen immunity.
- Peacock eggs are also in great demand. They are not only tasty and nutritious, but also have medicinal properties. This product is especially useful for pregnant women.
- Ancient Christians considered the peacock a symbol of immortality. In eastern countries, a peacock symbolizes pride and strength. And in Russia they call arrogant and narcissistic people peacocks.
- In past centuries, a fan of peacock feathers, located in female hands, pointed to the upper class of the possessor. And many knights wore helmets on which peacock feathers flaunted.
- Albinos are often found in the bird family. White peacocks are also unusually beautiful.
- Peacocks can not sing. The sound of their voice is sometimes very unpleasant and harsh. It can be compared to the cry of a cat when it was stepped on its tail or paw. Peacocks can make a wide variety of sounds. In the springtime, males start screaming in the mornings at sunrise
- Peacocks are considered one of the best snake hunters. In southern countries, people specially have these birds in their home for catching cobras.
- Peacocks can foresee the onset of natural disasters, such as a hurricane or an earthquake. With the approach of bad weather the birds shows signs of natural disaster.
- In some countries, people believe that in no case should you store any peacock feather decorations in your home, as they bring misfortune. Often, peacock love games fall in the season when it rains. According to local beliefs, it is these birds that attract rainfall to the earth.
- In America, the NBC television company used 4 different logos, each of which depicted a peacock.
- Peacocks have a large number of chromosomes, according to the calculations of geneticists, there are 76. And a person has only 46.
Read.... Interesting facts about Ibis