Jellyfish have gained bad fame over a long time because of the damage they cause. Many people are afraid of these sea creatures. But beyond that, we must admit that they are unique creatures , the main reason is their appearance. They look as if they were not from our planet, they are simply fascinating.
They are also unique because they are one of the few creatures that can adapt to dead areas of the ocean , where there is little oxygen and a lot of pollution.
If you are afraid of it, get over it for a moment and put it aside because then we show you 25 Curiosities of jellyfish .
Facts about Jelly Fish
1. Jellyfish are found in all the oceans of the world .
2. They are made only of water and nerves . Jellyfish have no brain, heart, bones or respiratory system. Your nervous systems are enough to have basic senses such as smell and touch.
3. Carukia barnesi or also known as jellyfish Irukandji , is the smallest jellyfish in the world and the second most poisonous.
4. The most poisonous is the Chironex fleckeri or sea wasp . It is considered the deadliest living creature on the planet .
5. Sea wasps become more deadly with age .
6. Some types of jellyfish shine . They use their brightness to warn their predators of their toxicity.
7. When a jellyfish attacks with its stingers, they can be faster than a bullet .
8. Did you know that there are jellyfish with teeth? The species is called "comb jellyfish . " It has hundreds of rows of "teeth" made of small hairs that can pierce, tear and pull its prey into its stomach. This species is cannibal , therefore it prefers to eat other jellyfish.
9. They can be cloned . If you cut a jellyfish in half, both halves can regenerate and become two jellyfish.
10. Never get entangled . Although certain jellyfish have very long tentacles, they never tangle or bite themselves. The reason is because the tentacles are very slippery and can only bite other jellyfish species.
11. On an annual average, jellyfish kill more people than sharks .
12. The giant lion mane jellyfish is the largest species . On average they measure 2 to 3 meters in diameter and their tentacles can reach 30 meters long, exceeding the blue whale in length.
13. The largest jellyfish (lion's mane) in the world is 36 meters long .
14. Some are edible . This is usually seen more in Asia, for example in Korea the "jellyfish salad" is prepared, and in Japan they make jelly beans with jellyfish powder.
15. The jellyfish is one of the oldest multicellular organisms on the planet . Scientists have discovered in jellyfish fossils that can be more than 500 million years old , being older than dinosaurs.
16. On some occasions the jellyfish walk the crabs . Crabs are not damaged by stingers because of their hard shell .
17. 2,000 species have been discovered so far . 70 of these species are dangerous to humans.
18. A group of jellyfish is called "flower" or "swarm . "
19. A tentacle separated from the body of a jellyfish can continue to itch . This is due to the lack of brain, the jellyfish does not consciously itch, it cannot control it, that makes it possible for the tentacle to be active without being attached to the body.
20. Urine does not help against a jellyfish sting . What helps is to wash the affected area with salt water.
21. Because they are 98% water , they evaporate in the sun .
22. There are jellyfish that do not sting . There is only one place in the world where you can live peacefully with jellyfish . It is found in Palau Islands and is called «the lake of jellyfish» , there are millions of golden jellyfish that do not cause damage.
23. Approximately 200,000 people are bitten in Florida every year.
24. The life time of a jellyfish is less than one year .
25. In 1991, jellyfish traveled to outer space on the Columbia space shuttle so scientists could examine the effect that zero gravity would cause them. Jellyfish reproduced in space. When they returned to Earth, scientists discovered that space-born jellyfish did not know how to deal with gravity .