To this day, elephants do not stop to amaze scientists with their intelligence. These amazing animals are really smart. In addition, they don’t alien and emotions – elephants have their own likes and dislikes, like humans. This is not surprising – the intelligence of elephants is very high, which found in many cultures, especially in the ancient culture of India. Elephants are smart and calm, but do not make them angry, because an angry elephant is really scary.
Interesting facts about elephants.
- Elephants are the closest relatives of the extinct mammoths.
- Contrary to popular myth, elephants are not afraid of mice
- Elephants have an amazingly good memory. There are cases when elephants took revenge on offenders after many years. However, elephants do not forget the good either.
- It is a well-known fact that elephants are the largest land animals on earth.
- The heart of an elephant can reach a weight of 25-30 kg. In a normal rhythm, it contracts about once every two seconds, driving blood over a huge body.
- elephants spend up to 20 hours a day to search for food.
- An adult elephant drinks 100-200 liters of water per day, or even more.
- Elephants live on average half a century. The most famous centenarian is an elephant named Lin Wang, who lived in this world for 86 years.
- An elephant trunk can hold up to eight liters of water.
- Elephants have an extremely acute sense of smell, much sharper than humans.
- The average length of elephant tusks has declined considerably over the past few centuries. This is due to the fact that poachers destroy elephants with large tusks, and the length of the tusk is a genetic trait that is inherited.
- The bodyweight of an adult elephant reaches five tons.
- Elephant herds are always headed by old and experienced females. A change of leader occurs only due to the death of the former main elephant. Moreover, only females live in herds, and males prefer to live separately.
- A female elephant can conceive a cub only for a few days a year.
- Elephant pregnancy lasts longer than any other living creatures on Earth - 22 months.
- A newborn baby elephant weighs more than a hundred kilograms.
- Elephants have their own funeral rites, similar to human ones. In the case of the death of one of the members of the herd, elephants usually bury him, digging a shallow pit and filling the body with branches and earth, after which they sit silently next to this place for several days. There are cases when elephants also buried people. Or they tried to bury, mistaking sleeping for the dead.
- Ivory teeth are updated 6-7 times during their life, as they gradually wear out from the constant grinding of hard leaves. When the last set of teeth is erased, a lonely elephant starves to death. Some survive if the rest of the herd feeds them..
- Just as in humans milk teeth are replaced by molars, so in young elephants milk tusks are replaced by permanent ones over time.
- Elephants, like humans, are divided into righties and lefties. In their case, the difference is noticeable in how the tusk the elephant prefers to work. Most elephants are right-handed.
- They sleep on average 4 hours a day, and spend the rest of the time searching for food
- They are good swimmers. There is an official record where an elephant swam a straight 70 kilometers which was confirmed officially.
- The thickness of the skin of an adult elephant reaches 3-4 centimeters.
- Big ears help elephants to remove excess heat from the body.
- The width of the elephant's ear can reach 4 meters.
Read.. Intersting Animal Facts